Header Ads

How I Treated my Hair Loss and Hair Thinning Problem?






When I was younger , I used to have envious hair- long, thick, straight and silky. I give all the credit to my grandmother, and perhaps my mother.

Here's why:

  1. When I was a baby I was fed with ALOT of ragi, which is high in iron.
  2. Every once a week, I would have an oil bath; apply mildly heated sesame oil (nallenai), black pepper, and curry leaves to hair , and body, let it set for 30 minutes for hair, and 15–20 minutes for body. I used this product called Meera Shikkai for my hair, and gram flour (kadalai maavu) mixed with turmeric powder for my body- these were used instead of shampoo and body wash respectively.
  3. Oil my hair with coconut oil, and have it braided everyday. This prevent tangles in the hair.
  4. Ate ALOT of spinach- like Popeye. My grandmother even used to tell me- If you want to be strong like Popeye , eat spinach! XD
  5. A healthy diet.

Unfortunately, due to an illness I had suffered, my RBC count and iron levels became low- my hair began to fall. My hair became REALLY thin. As many people envied my hair, they noticed my hair fall, and would (cruelly) ask me, what happened to my hair, and all..

A few years later , I decided to cut my hair. As I had naturally thick gair, I figured that if I cut it, it'd grow back- as my hair was thick at the top, but thin towards the bottom. I was also tired of having people questioning me about my hair. I wanted to start over!

I also read that apparently every 10–12 years , hair tends to change texture and all.

I cut my hair. As I had predicted, my hair grew out to be thick, but not as thick as it used to be- healthy thick, and kinda envious. My hair became a little wavy at the ends. My hair was also not suited for Meera Shikkai anymore, it became very dry.

Here's what I did to grow and nurture my hair:

  1. Oiled my hair with coconut, at least the day before my head bath. Before the head bath, I massaged Castor Oil into the scalp and the hair. Wait for 30 minutes to set. Wash hair with shampoo. I don't use conditioner, as it doesn't work with my hair- it make it fragile , I noticed hair fall while using it. Castor is a great alternative for conditioner, it not only aids blood circulation and makes hair thickets, but makes my hair softer and smoother too! I used as less shampoo as possible, and more water. The wetter the hair, the most the shampoo spreads.
  2. I washed my hair twice a week- on Wednesdays and Sundays.
  3. Ate a balanced diet.
  4. Comb hair before going to bed.

TL;DR

  • Learn about your hair. Identify what factors caused your hair to fall in the first place.
  • Gets rid of head lice, and dandruff.
  • Identify how often it is that you need to wash you hair. This will depend on how dirty your hair gets over time, and how oily it gets (scum formation).
  • Identify what shampoo suits your hair best, and whether or not conditioner works for your hair or not.
  • Don't use too much shampoo.
  • Keep hair moisturized with oils like Coconut oil, Gingerly oil, Castor oil, almond oil,etc.
  • Have oil baths!
  • Comb you hair often, to keep it detangled.
  • Eat a balanced diet with a good amount of proteins, and iron.
  • If you're hair is actually naturally thick, CONSIDER cutting you hair to start over. Kinda like rebirth.
  • Less is more!

Hope this helps! Good luck!





Powered by Blogger.